Prescot Roll of Honour

Also Served
Prescot Burials
1914 -1919
Local History
Log In
WW1 Casualty: Private 4922 George Booth -

Private 4922 George Booth

Unit/Regiment 1/5th Bn., South Lancashire Regiment
Date of Death 10/08/1916 Age at Death 40
& Reference
Abbeville Communal Cemetery
VI D 3
CWGC Family Details (if shown) Son of William and Sarah Booth, of Sandhurst, Kent.

CWGGC Headstone Inscription:-

Next of kin is listed as W Booth, Esq., Ivy House, Sponden Road, Sandhurst, Kent
Census Details 1911 Census -
George, aged 35, lived as a Boarder at 46, Belgrave News, S W London. His occupation is shown as "Groom"
SDGW – Where Born Sandhurst, Kent
Enlisted St Helens
How Died Died of Wounds Theatre of War France & Flanders
Research Ref. No. P333

Service Details

George Booth was born in Sandhurst, Kent, in 1876, the son of William and Sarah Booth. In 1911, he lived in Belgravia, Soth West London, where he was employed as a Groom.

I assume that he moved to the north to work on Lord Derby's estate, though I currently have no evidence of this beyond a newspaper article after his death, located by Kathy Donaldson, which recorded him as living at Knowsley Stables, Prescot.

No service records have survived for George Booth. His service number was issued in March 1916, and the lack of a 1915 Star on his Medal Index Card confirms that he did not go overseas before 1916. Aged 40, it is possible that he had previous military service.

As part of the Somme offensive, on 8th August 1916 , the 1/5th Battalion was ordered to capture the village of Guillemont, which had defied all previous attempts at capture and was a thorn in the side of the British forces. The attack commenced at 4.20 a.m. and initially all objectives were taken despite strong resistance. By the end of the day, the Railway Station and the front line trenches in front of the village were in allied hands. Orders were then received to be ready to continue the attack the following morning.

Zero hour was again at 4.20 a.m. and the initial assault was met with withering machine gun fire from the German defenders, resulting in the troops falling back to their starting points. This also resulted in the companies being heavily mixed up and it was noon before reorganisation was complete. After this, the battalion remained near Trones Wood until the 10th, clearing the dead of the previous two days of battle and consolidating the ground won at such a heavy cost. On the evening of the 10th, they were withdrawn to bivouac and then on the 12th returned to the line at Maltz Horn Farm.

Pte Booth is recorded as dying of wounds on 10th August, so it would seem likely that he was wounded in the Guillemont action and died of his wounds shortly afterwards.

He was entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

George's father, William, was listed as sole legatee on the Register of Soldiers Effects

Member Comments(0)

Please select a letter for a surname list:

Search by Surname


(c) Stephen Nulty

seximgsearch teen xxxadultphoto adultpicz nude